The original Town Hall of 1934-7 is by AJ Thomas, and is strongly influenced by the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens. Through good stewardship Camden Council has preserved the building as a remarkably consistent expression of the civic architecture of the period. The majority of the Council’s executive functions are now located at 5 Pancras Square, a modern BREEAM Outstanding development recently completed as part of the redevelopment of King’s Cross.
Our proposals are intended to secure the long term future of Camden's original town hall building, whilst physically and functionally separating the consented hotel scheme which is under construction in a 1970’s town hall Annex which was successfully disposed of by the Council in 2014.
An initial feasibility stage study was carried out for the Council by the design team which looked at alternative possible uses for those areas of the building that were no longer required to support Council functions, how circulation routes and entrances might be altered to allow other discrete user groups to access and use the building and how additional floor area might be provided.
Here we illustrate our proposals to deliver the Council’s brief for the reuse and refurbishment of the representational & democratic spaces of the Town Hall and the re-purposing of other areas of the building that are no longer required following the completion of 5 Pancras Square.